Friday, April 27, 2012

Baked Turkey Eggrolls

Crispy and Delicious!
Chinese take out is one of those things that I get cravings for, but even if you know that it's MSG free, it's probably still pretty unhealthy. Plus, if you're getting delivery, there's always a $10 minimum... and $10 of Chinese food is a lot.

Personally, I think if I had deep fried these egg rolls, they would have been vastly superior to anything I get at a local Chinese spot (Delaware is not known for it's Chinese population). Baked, they were still extremely delicious. Given my general dislike of frying things (it uses too much oil and I inevitably burn myself) I will choose the baked version every time!


This recipe is modified from a baked egg roll recipe I found in Canadian Living (which, fyi, is an awesome source of recipes). They used ground pork and carrot while I added some savoy cabbage and used ground turkey. I also changed their cooking temperature/time. So it's mine now!

Baked Turkey Eggrolls

Ingredients

1lb of ground turkey
1/2 a small savoy/napa cabbage chopped fairly small (like for cole slaw)
1 cup chopped water chestnuts
1/2 a red bell pepper finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
4 green onions chopped
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 tsp sesame oil divided
1 Tbsp corn starch
15 egg roll skins (found in grocer refrigerated or frozen section)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a large pan, begin to cook ground turkey over medium heat, break it up. Add in the garlic, green onions, and cabbage and continue to cook until there is no pink left in th turkey. Add in the cabbage, red bell pepper, and water chestnuts. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until cabbage begins to soften.

In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, two tsp of sesame oil, and corn starch. Add the mixture to the turkey and stir to cook. Once incorporated, remove turkey mixture from heat.

Put about two heaping tablespoons of turkey mixture into the center of your wonton skin.  Fold the skin around the mixture and place with the edge down on a greased baking sheet. Brush the outside of the wrapper lightly with the remaining sesame oil. (there is a nice picture of how to roll up your egg roll here: Roll Your Egg Roll!)

Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. I didn't do this, but I think I would flip them half way through if I made them again. The bottom against the pan got more crispy and I would like that crispiness to be spread around. Let cool for a few minutes (the insides will be boiling lava hot!). Dip with your favorite asian sauce or eat plain!


I would 100% make these again. I would also try making mini egg rolls with wonton wrappers for a more bite-sized snack. Probably, the cooking time would need to be reduced for the smaller. I'll try it in the future and let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment