Friday, April 20, 2012

Deep Dish Taco Pie

At the begining of each month, I plan out what I'm going to be making for food on a calendar stuck on our fridge. It allows me to keep my eye out for good deals on things that I'll need later on and it helps me track new recipes and whether or not they were any good. For instance, ham croquettes now has a little frowny face :(.

This week I didn't plan very well because two of the meals that I planned as having as leftovers the 2nd night did not produce enough leftovers, forcing me to come up with quick, easy dinners on the fly.


Last year, they closed the only grocery store on my way home from work, and I now am dependent upon Walgreens to provide food stuffs for last minute meals. That plus random stuff from my fridge, made up this taco pie.

Deep Dish Taco Pie

Ingredients
1 packet dry pizza dough mix (Walgreens sells a just add water kind that is totally decent... you can also use refrigerated pizza dough or a recipe of your choice)
1 can tomato sauce
1 packet taco seasoning (or a mixture of chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder)
1 cup or so of sour cream
2 cups shredded cheese (Walgreens has a shredded mexican blend that I used)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 an onion chopped
random veggies from the fridge--I used half a zucchini but corn, bell pepper, or mushroom also would have been good.
My stove light gave this super weird color...

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350

Mix your pizza dough if necessary.

In a large skillet cook the ground beef. Drain off the fat and add in the onion. Cook until onion is translucent and soft. Stir in the tomato sauce, spices, and any other veggies. Cook until veggies have begun to soften.

Spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray. Spread your dough in the bottom of the pan and up the sides a little (mine didn't go all the way up the sides, it's ok).

Spread about half of the cheese on top of the dough. Top with the sauce mixture, sour cream, and remainder of the cheese.

Bake, uncovered, for about 18 minutes. Let it sit for about 5-10minutes before serving.
crust side out--yum!

From start to finish this took me about half an hour to prepare. Super easy for a weeknight, and the majority of the ingredients can be kept on hand for emergency dinners. It would be easy to lighten up with some ground turkey or chicken and adding more veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment