Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Peach Scones with Cinnamon Whipped Cream

Also a good opportunity to pull out grandma's china
A few weeks ago I went out to tea with Margaret. If you haven't ever been to a tea room for afternoon/high/or cream tea, I would highly recommend it. There's something about sipping on a cup of tea out of real china while munching on a scone topped with clotted cream and jam that screams sophistication and elegance.

Plus it's delicious.

Nathan was jealous of my delicious scones (and apparently tea isn't a manly thing) so I agreed to make some for snack this week. Originally I thought I'd make a traditional scone (with currants or raisins) but since it's summer time, I decided to make them with peach and cinnamon.

You can, theoretically, make your own clotted cream. The internet says so, so it must be true. However, I decided to forgo the process and do a thick whipped cream. It wasn't quite as delicious as clotted, but since I flavored it with some cinnamon sugar, I think it came pretty close.


The only issue that I had with the recipe was that I think that I cut my butter in a little bit too fine and they ended up a tad bit more cake-like than scone like. It's possible that this was from the extra moisture added from the peaches, I'm not sure. They were still pretty tasty regardless!

Peach Scones with Cinnamon Whipped Cream

Ingredients

1 3/4 Cups Flour
4tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 Tbsp unsalted butter cold
1 peach cut into raisin sized pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk  plus 1 Tbsp
1/4 sour cream
1 egg


1 Cup heavy whipping cream
1Tbsp brown sugar plus 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix together flour, baking powder, brown sugar. Coarsely cut in the butter. Stir in peaches and cinnamon.

In a separate bowl, mix together the milk (reserving 1 Tbsp milk) and sour cream. Pour mixture into flour and stir until just combined--it's ok if some parts are a little wet and some parts are a little dry, but don't over mix it!

Shape into a circle about 8-10 inches across and then cut like a pie into wedges. Bake on a parchment paper lined sheet with the pieces just touching or almost touching.

In a small bowl whisk together your reserved Tbsp of milk and the egg to make a simple egg wash. Brush the top of each scone with the mixture and sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar if you so desire. Bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

While baking, whip the heavy cream into stiff peaks. Beat in cinnamon sugar mixture.

Serve warm with a cup of tea for a perfect afternoon snack or breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment