Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Homemade Beef Jerky by Alton Brown

mmmm jerky
If there are two things in this world that I love they're Alton Brown and beef jerky (and Nathan, of course... though that would be three). And who do you think has an AMAZING recipe for homemade beef jerky that 100% works? That would be Alton Brown.



Since I used his recipe to the letter I'm going to link. Alton Brown's Beef Jerky

The only thing I did differently was using only 3 air filters (the individual ones were sort of expensive, and they only came in packs of three) which worked fine and changed out the flank steak for a nice london broil.


I was afraid that it would make my whole house smell like beef jerky, so I set up the fan in the bathroom. It really didn't, and I think that you could leave it in your kitchen. I marinated and set up the box fan on Saturday and let the sucker blow over night until Sunday morning which was the right amount of time.

I would probably change the recipe a little bit for next time (and oh yes, there will be a next time). I would up the sweetness with some additional honey and add in some garlic/garlic powder.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! As we traveled this past week, Steve would stop and look at beef jerky at the different gas stations and figured it would be around $16 a pound to buy beef jerky!!! I told him my dad used to make it with his dehydrator and it tasted pretty good. So, I shared your blog with him...maybe he'll get inspired to try to make his own!!!

    ReplyDelete