Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Bacon Wrapped Steak Pinwheels

My personal rule with this blog (and the reason that there are no ads on it) is that it's just for fun. When it's not fun, I don't worry about posting new recipes. Right now I have photos for about 6 posts on my camera, but I've been feeling a bit lethargic about posting. Plus I had surgery, that's a super good excuse, right?

Anyway, thought I'd come back with some bacony goodness. These little suckers were adapted from a video that I watched on Martha Stewarts website of a VERY young Emeril making them. I think that I made them a little bit easier since I don't have an assistant in the back doing all of my chopping for me. Check out the video here. It's handy for assembly instructions.

Emeril made his roll ups with flank steak. I had bought a London broil on sale recently, and I tend to interchange the two cuts. Now before the meat police get on me, I am aware that the two meats are not the same and blah blah blah. What I'm saying is that for me, London broil is a lot of the time less expensive and for the purposes of this recipe, you could use either.

My London broil was over an inch thick, so I cut it half horizontally to make two thinner steaks. Emeril slices straight down on his meat, but I chose to cut mine at 45 degree angle. Since these are little bite sized bits I wanted to make sure they would be easy to chew. If your steak is an inch or less thick, I would skip the butterflying step.

On to the recipe.

Bacon Wrapped Steak Pinwheels

1lb normal bacon (yeah, it's a whole package of bacon).
1.5ish lbs of flank steak or London broil (I had too much, but I just grilled up the leftover once I ran out of bacon)
4 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup of parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes
2 tbsp. soy sauce

water soaked wooden skewers

Directions

In a food processor, blend together the garlic, parsley, cheese, tomatoes and soy sauce form a thick paste. I told you I didn't have an assistant to do all my chopping so I could incorporate with a fork. Food processors are awesome.

Slice your bacon slices into thirds to form three short pieces. Slice your steak at a 45 degree angle. Cut these pieces into strips just shorter than your bacon pieces. Lay the steak on top of the bacon so that one end matches. Spread a little bit of the paste onto the steak. Roll up, starting at the end where the bacon and steak meet and wrapping the extra bacon around. Secure on a wooden skewer. I found that I could fit 4-5 pinwheels on a skewer.

I originally intended on grilling these outside, but it was raining pretty hard so I decided to use a combination of my grill pan and the broiler. I heated up my grill pan to medium high and let them brown for about 2 minutes per side. I then transferred them to a baking sheet and put them under a broiler set to high on the 2nd to highest rack for an additional 4 minutes.

Place the skewers on a paper towel lined tray. I think if you were really grilling them, the bacon fat would drip off more, but with the pans, they're sort of sitting in it. I like to drain them a bit.

Slide the bites off of the skewers . You can cut them in half if you want a pretty presentation for people to be able to see the pinwheel, but I left most of mine whole. They were super delicious, and very garlicy.

This makes a LOT of little bites. I would say about 4-5 dozen of them. I plan on trying these out on the grill in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment