Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Zucchini Fritters

It's zucchini time again! Over the weekend, Nathan and I seeded, shredded, bagged and froze what has to be 15lbs of zucchini. The frozen zucchini can be used in zucchini bread, fritters, soup, etc. I used some of the zucchini before we froze it to make fritters.

I attempted fritters once before, but I think that with my fear of frying, I sort of missed the mark. This batch was much better in large part due to my not being afraid of the hot oil. I also changed up the spice mixture so that they were more flavorful.

The first few that I made, I used WAY too much and ended up with big pancake sized fritters. The small size, about 2-3 inches across, were easier to flip and took less time to cook. They're also easier to eat as a finger food.

I mixed some siracha with some mayo to make a spicy dipping sauce. Delicious, but not necessary as these had a little bit of a kick on their own. One REALLY important note is to make sure to salt these as soon as you remove them from the oil. If you don't, the salt doesn't stick.

Zucchini Fritters

Ingredients

3 cups shredded zucchini
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
2 large eggs

1 cup oil for frying (I used olive oil because it was all I had)

Directions

Put your zucchini in a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to drain. Rinse off the salt and then squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini.

In a bow, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Create a well and mix in the egg. Mix in the zucchini. When you put in the egg, you may thing there's not enough moisture, but even having drained the zucchini, there will be enough moisture in it to create the batter.

In a deep skillet, heat your oil over medium high heat. Test by dropping in a small piece of zucchini. If it immediately starts to fry, you should be good. Drop about 1/8th of a cup of zucchini mixture, flattening out with a spatula. Let it cook about 1 minute per side or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet and sprinkle with salt immediately!

Once they are all done eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment