Saturday, March 30, 2013

Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip with Homemade Pita Chips

so much yum!
When I was little, I remember my parents having people over for dinner, drinks, maybe some bridge. I know I mention my mom a lot here, and I feel like I should mention my dad. He would make these pita chips for parties that were just delicious.

These weren't made for me you understand, they were made for guests. So when I was given one, hot from the oven or the next morning when they'd loss a bit of their crispiness, it was a treat. I'm honestly not sure what my parents served with these. I think it might have been hummus... I didn't really care about that. 



I made them today based on what I remember from back then. Lots of butter (I never said they were healthy). Cutting the whole stack into wedges and keeping a close eye on them under the broiler in the oven.

Anyway, I made a really tasty roasted garlic white bean dip to go along with my pita chips. It goes well with the chips and also with lots of veggies. It made a lot, and I'm also looking forward to using it as a filler in sandwiches.

cut them around the edges
Homemade Pita Chips 

Ingredients
Four normal sized pita breads
1 stick salted butter

Directions

Cut the pita around the edge. I used a small serrated knife and I put the tip in and cut around. Butter the inside of each. You could also season them if you wanted to with various spices and flavoring if divided. It's important to use salted butter since then you don't need to add any additional salt. Put them in a big stack and cut into eight wedges. I find it easiest to cut the circle in half.

Preheat the broiler to hi. On a lightly buttered baking sheet, place the pita wedges so they don't overlap.
ready to go in the oven!

Place on the 2nd to highest rack setting in the oven for about 1 1/2 minutes. After one minute, you can rotate the tray if necessary. There is no need to flip the pita chips. There is a small window between browned and burnt, so keep an eye on the chips. These will be terrifically crunchy.

Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip  

Ingredients 

2 whole heads of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil plus a few tablespoons
2 15 oz cans of white beans (I used northern, but navy would be fine) drained and rinsed
2 tsp lemon juice
1 onion chopped
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

First you'll need to roast the garlic. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Remove all the excess paper/skin from the outside. Cut the top of the garlic so that the edges are exposed. Place the whole head in a ramekin (preferably) or a muffin tin. Put a few tablespoons on each head and cover with tinfoil. Bake for about 30 minutes until the cloves are soft.

When they are cool, squeeze the garlic out of the remainder of their skins. This delicious roast garlic can be used for all sorts of things or just eaten on its own.

In a food processor, combine all the ingredients. Add in any olive oil leftover from the garlic if possible (because it's tasty). Blend until smooth and creamy.

I think that you could probably use less olive oil if you wanted to make it a bit healthier. I may to try to replace some of it with a bit of water to keep the texture more similar.


delicious roasted garlic
dip dip dip





No comments:

Post a Comment