Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chocolate Coconut Marshmallow Cookies



gooey marshmallows
Some days, you just want a cookie. Today was like that for me. It started when the grocery store had fresh baked cookies and the entire store smelled amazing. It was hard, but I resisted buying a bag while I was there.

I got home and did some work around the house (I really need to do one load of laundry every week instead of four loads of laundry once a month...). But as we got into evening, I still REALLY wanted a cookie. I went upstairs to look in my baking supplies and see what I had. It wasn't awesome. Not enough chocolate chips for chocolate chip cookies, not enough peanut butter for peanut butter cookies, no raisins or oats for oatmeal raisin. I had less than a quarter cup of chocolate chips, part of a bag of shredded coconut and a quarter bag of stale mini marshmallows.



At first, I thought rocky road cookies, but I didn't have any nuts, and I sort of wanted to use the coconut up. Nathan also loves coconut and I thought it would be a good idea to make something he would really like since the other option is that I eat all the cookies. They did not disappoint! They have a nice, subtle, coconut flavor mixed with the chocolate. The marshmallows get a little caramelized wherever they touch the surface of the cookie. The cookie itself is pleasantly soft.

Chocolate Coconut Marshmallow Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
about 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup chocolate chips (this is all I had, but you could use more)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 375.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in the eggs and extracts.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in your marshmallows, coconut, and chocolate chips.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place one inch balls about 2 inches apart on the sheet. Bake at 375 for about 9 minutes or until the tops of the cookies look dry and have those awesome looking cracks.

Some of the marshmallows may melt onto the baking sheet. If you are gentle, they should peel off the parchment paper fairly easily.

This makes about three dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment