Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The BEST Taco Filling

it's not the prettiest, but it is the tastiest
I don't like to brag, but this is seriously one of the best taco fillings that I've ever had. The fact that it's super easy and relatively healthy are just two of the amazing perks! When I'm feeling like Mexican (and I make no claims that this is in any way authentic Mexican food) this is pretty much my go to recipe. Any toppings you have on hand are delicious--I particularly like lettuce, salsa, avocado, sour cream, and cheese (chopped tomoatoes, guacamole, rice, mexican corn, etc. are also super tasty!). I like to wrap mine in a flour tortilla, but it's also super tasty on a bed of lettuce or scooped up on a corn chip. I'm not a fan of hard shells, but it works well in them too.





The filling is made with a mixture of ground beef and refried beans, but I have successfully made it with ground turkey as well.

nomnomnom tacos
BEST Taco Filling

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef (the leaner the better)
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 16oz can refried beans (I use the fat free variety)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
pinch (or to taste) red pepper flakes
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 4.25 oz can diced green chilies

tortillas and toppings as desired

Directions

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium high heat. Drain fat, leaving about 1 Tbsp for cooking. Add in the onion, garlic, and spices and cook until the onion is translucent. Add in the tomatoes, green chilies, and refried beans. Stir until the beans have sort of melted to create a sauce for the meat.

sectioned plates are awesome for a taco bar
Bring to a low simmer and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened. Serve in tortillas, hard taco shells, or as part of a salad--whatever your heart (and stomach) desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment