Friday, January 6, 2012

New Years Tomato Cheese Hand Pies

So it's been a couple weeks since my last post.  I totally intended to post one of the delicious foods that was prepared while I was visiting with my family in Florida, but somehow I managed to not. And then New Year's Eve came around and I made foods and thought "good enough".

We had a very relaxing New Year celebration with a couple of friends, tasty food, games, and watching the ball drop at midnight. I didn't want to go overboard, but still made a couple of classic party foods. The hit of the evening were the tomato-cheese hand pies. I was not convinced that they were going to be awesome, but one bite of the delicious filling changed my mind.

I adapted my recipe from Paula Dean (http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/view2/967) because while I personally find her voice irritating, her recipes have never failed me.





Tomato-Cheese Hand Pies

Ingredients
about 2 cups of seeded and chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tsp dried thyme
1 Cup good sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 container refrigerated biscuits 8 count.

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Seed your tomatoes and chop. Mix in green onions and thyme. Stir in mayo and cheese. Set aside.

Tear each biscuit in half and roll into a circle. I rolled mine into about 3-4inc circle. Put a heaping tablespoon of mixture into the center of each biscuit. Fold in half and pinch together the edges to seal. You can use a little bit of water on the edges to help the seal if you need to.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Can be served immediately but are also good at room temperature.
the whole new years spread


These were a super hit, even with those who are not huge veggie fans. I think I would add in about half a cup of diced ham to replace half a cup of tomatoes if I make them again. I think the ham would really mesh well with the flavors already present.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment