Saturday, January 21, 2012

Easy Homemade Salsa

Sorry for the majorly late post, we had some computer difficulties this week and ended up having to reinstall Windows! Not so much conducive to uploading photos.

This past weekend I worked both Saturday and Sunday (hard for the money) so when I returned home and Nathan gave me the puppy-dog look and was like "snack" I was not in the mood for anything complicated... or messy... or with stirring or extended chopping. I'd been standing pretty much for seven hours and my feet were saying "no more".

Now many of you are going "why didn't Nathan make his own snack? is he some sort of lazy mysognistic jerk?". While at that particular moment, my feet were screaming "yes, yes he is" my heart was going out to him as he was watching his beloved Packers lose their chance at the Super Bowl and I thought snacky goodness my ease the pain. Plus he would not have taken a picture and then I would have been left with a much less exciting post.

To the snack! Homemade salsa is super easy, super delicious, and super cheap (three of my favorite things!). It's tasty with chips, any recipe that calls for salsa, on eggs, or by the spoonful. General yum.

Homemade Salsa

Ingredients

1 large can whole canned tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 small onion
1-2 cloves garlic
1 fresh jalapeno or about 6-7 slices from a jar/can

Directions

Drain the tomatoes. You can freeze the juice and use it later in chili or soup or whatever. You will forget it in the fridge and it will go gross and moldy. Freezing is the way to go. If you like your salsa to be low liquid, you should pierce and squeeze each tomato to drain out some of the juices inside as well.

Seed and quarter your bell pepper. Peel and quarter the onion. Peel the garlic. If using  fresh jalapeno, remove the stem.

Add all but tomatoes to your food processor. Pulse a couple of times to large rough chop. Add in the tomatoes. Pulse a few more times until everything is small but not completely pureed. You can have the salsa be as chunky or not as you like.

Pour the salsa from your food processor to a small pot. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes to combine flavors. You can skip this step if you want, but I like how it tastes better after its simmered.  Cool and serve with chips. (we didn't let ours cool much because we were hungry).

I made cheesy chips by putting about a cup of shredded cheese on top of my chips and sticking them under the broiler for about a minute.

You can store the salsa in your fridge for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment