Sunday, June 9, 2013

Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce

Add caption
This is a recipe that Nathan has been asking me to make for a while. I didn't for a couple of reasons. The first is that while I generally enjoy peanut butter and other peanut flavored items, I have not generally enjoyed bottled peanut sauces and wasn't sure where to start with making my own (or if I would like it all). The second is that, until recently, we didn't own a grill.

Now that we've bought a new grill, I was able to try out making satays.  I based my recipe on the about.com recipe with modifications made based mostly on what I had available in my pantry. They turned out truly delicious! I think that there was more marinade than necessary for the chicken.


Chicken Satay Marinade

Ingredients

2 lbs chicken tender
2 heaping Tbsp minced lemongrass (I actually found some in a tube in the produce section of my grocery store and used that) 
1 small onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 jalapeno pepper minced
2" piece of ginger thinly sliced
1 tsp dried tumeric
2 tsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp fish sauce 
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Directions 

Cut the chicken tenders into thin strips. In a bowl, mix together all of the other ingredients. Cover the chicken with marinade and put in the fridge for at least an hour. 30 minutes before you are ready to cook, place wooden skewers in water to soak.

Preheat your grill to medium high heat. Skewer your chicken, leaving some room at one end to use as a handle.

Grill the chicken about 3 minutes on each side. Longer or shorter time depending on how thinly you sliced the chicken.


Peanut Dipping Sauce 

Ingredients

1/3-1/2 cup peanut butter (I like the natural jiff variety)
2 Tbsp water
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp lime juice
aprox 1/3 cup coconut milk
1 jalapeno pepper diced

Directions

Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more coconut milk or water to thin out the sauce if necessary.

The chicken in this recipe tastes amazing on its own, and the peanut sauce is also delicious! I was pleasantly surprised. We used leftover chicken and sauce with some sliced red bell pepper, onion, and tomato and lettuce to make a salad the next night. I love it when leftovers make a new recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment