Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chicken Fajita Quesadilla

still trying to find the best lighting area in my new kitchen...
Quesadilla's are an amazing meal or snack. I grew up with my mom making these for us as an easy lunch or dinner. The ingredients for a basic cheese quesadilla (mozzarella and tortillas) can easily be kept in the freezer. Once I went to college, there was a little Mexican place in the student center and I had chicken quesadillas from them fairly regularly.

But now I'm on my own and I have to make my own quesadillas (life is hard...). This week I made a chicken fajita quesadilla. What makes it fajita you ask? I cooked my chicken and veggies with the same spice mixture that I do my fajitas. These are awesome hot and gooey or at room temperature, so they make a great snack. I even ate one the next day cold of of the fridge and it was still pretty good.

Chicken Fajita Quesadilla

Ingredients

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp lime juice
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp hot chili powder
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz mozzarella grated
4 oz Monterrey jack cheese grated
4 large burrito sized flour tortillas

Directions

In a medium sized bowl, mix together garlic, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and vegetable oil. Toss your chicken in the marinade. Cover with plastic and set aside.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Pour chicken and all marinade in to the pan and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Remove chicken, leaving any marinade and juices in the pan.

chicken in bowl, juice in pan
Cook your onion and bell pepper in the juices until softened. Remove to a separate bowl.

Get out a large pan or skilled at heat to just over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the bottom of the pan and layer a little bit of cheese, some chicken, some veggies and then a little more cheese over half of the tortilla.
doesn't need a ton of cheese, it's just the glue
Fold the tortilla in half over the filling. Let sit for about 2 minutes until pan side of the tortilla is browned. Flip and let the other side brown for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melty.
While you make more, store your quesadillas in a 200 degree oven if desired. When ready to serve, cut into four wedges for easy dipping.
brown but not burned--perfect!
Serve with some salsa, sour cream, guacamole--or just eat them plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment