Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Green Bay Packers Potato Skins

look at those tasty potato skins
Fun Fact: Nathan is a huge Packers fan. And it's football season again, so that means football snacks. For our first snack of the season (which I did make opening weekend!), I did a Packers themed potato skin. I took what I see as the flavors of Wisconsin and combined them into deliciousness.

Potato skins are a great football appetizer and can be modified to suit your favorite team... in fact Food Network did just that! oooh potato skin ideas I tried the packers one for this last year, but I found it to be a little bit too heavy and difficult to eat with the sliced bratwurst. I also didn't know (at that point) what beer cheese spread was so I used some regular cheddar

So here is how I make my potato skins!

Packer Potato Skins

Ingredients

6 Russet potatoes--I like to keep them relatively small so I can eat a couple of skins
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Salt

Beer Cheese
2 bratwursts, removed from casings
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
these were hard to take pictures of...

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry your potatoes. Coat the potatoes with oil and then sprinkle with salt. Pierce them a couple of times with a fork and put them directly on the baking rack. Place a heavy backing sheet on the rack below them in case they drip.

Bake about 45 minutes until fork tender.

Meanwhile, make your beer cheese according to the recipe linked. Crumble your bratwurst into a frying pan and cook over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

In a small bowl, mix together sour cream and mustard.

Turn oven up to 400 degrees.

Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out all but about 1/4" of flesh. Save what you scoop out. It's delicious and you can make mashed potatoes with it or just eat it. Spray the inside and outside of the potato skins lightly with cooking spray. Place them skin side up on a baking sheet and bake about 5-8 minutes until the skins are getting crispy.

Fill each skin with a spoonful of beer cheese, some crumbled bratwurst, and then top with some mustard sour cream. Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment